Step 8 – Install the Game
In this next step you’ll start to begin to see the fruits of your labor. Once you have correctly mounted the two directories you are ready to begin the installation of The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall. While some old DOS games do not require any installation, in those cases a simple mounting of the directories and execution of the game’s executable file is all that’s needed to start playing. In the case of Daggerfall though, installation to a virtual disk is required.
To get started switch to the D Drive by typing “D:” and pressing enter key to switch directory locations. Form the D drive you can view the list of files with “dir” or to simply start the installation, type INSTALL and press enter. This will start the Daggerfall installation program within the emulator window.
Daggerfall Installation Step by Step
Click inside the DOSBox window to enable the mouse functionality within the Daggerfall installation. From here you’ll make the following selections in the Daggerfall installation program:
- CONTINUE, I agree to the terms.
- Install the game to your hard drive
- Change the install size
- Huge installation (450MB)
- Yes, this installation size is fine
- Yes, I want to install the game here
- Go ahead and install the game
Installation will begin and should take a few minutes to complete and then you will be prompted to setup your sound card. Select “Yes” to begin this configuration. You can navigate through the Sound Card setup options using the keyboard arrow and enter keys or by selecting the hot key associated with each option. To Auto Detect and set your sound card follow these steps:
- Select “Auto Detect” and press enter or press the “A” key
- Select “Detect” and press enter or press the “D” key
- Select “OK” and press enter
- Digital Device will be populated with your sound card name. Select “OK” and press enter to save selection
- Select “OK” and press enter once more to exit setup utility
Two more “OKs” to select in the Daggerfall installation and program will exit back to the command line and C:\DAGGER directory location.
Step 9 – Update Daggerfall
In addition to the main game, the freeware download of The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall also includes the latest “official” patch that was released by Bethesda Softworks. This patch fixes a number of noteworthy issues and is recommended. From the DOSBox prompt (from within the C:\DAGGER directory) type DAG213 and press enter to launch the patch update. You will be prompted with two Y/N questions, answer Y to both.
Each time you want to play Daggerfall you simply enter the following commands into your DOSBox session and you’ll be up and running.
- mount c c:\games -freesize 1000
- mount d c:\games\dfcd -t cdrom -label Daggerfall
- Make C your active directory – type “C:” and press enter
- Change directory to “cd \dagger
- Enter “dagger” to start Daggerfall
In conclusion, this guide is not meant to work for every DOS game or program it is simply a step by step guide that can be used to become more comfortable with DOSBox, how it works and how you can get starter playing all those old DOS games. Its a great tool for those wanting to play old games from their youth as well as younger gamers looking to play some classic retro PC games in their original form.